An Indian cuisine lover and not a fan of Tandoori chicken. Just not possible. It’s a must have starter dish.
Tandoor is the classic clay oven used in the Indian sub-continent to bake food at high temperatures. Naan, tikkas, tandoori kebabs and roti made in tandoor have their own earthy taste. I don’t have a clay tandoor but I have tried to make something similar in a convection oven.
It is also very easy to make at home time is all you need. Marinate chicken for 8-10 hours and just throw it in the oven and it is done.
- Chicken – 6 leg pieces
- Yogurt – 3 tablespoons
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Mint leaves – 1/8 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger garlic and green chili (1) paste – 1 tablespoon
- Food colour – ½ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin seeds powder – ½ teaspoon
- Roasted chickpea flour - 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
- Black Cardamom -1
- Green cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Clean the chicken pieces and make incisions so that chicken absorbs the yogurt masala deep inside.
- Whisk the yogurt and add salt, roasted chickpea flour, garam masala, coriander and Kashmiri red chili powder (Kashmiri red chili powder gives nice colour to chicken also its not very hot). Chop the coriander and mint leaves and add in yogurt mixture.
- In a hot pan or tawa roast cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, black & green cardamom and cloves. Make a coarse powder of cumin seeds and add in yogurt mixtures along with other spices. Do not forget to removes these dry spices at the time of roasting. We are adding these so that chicken absorb the flavor while marination. Yogurt mix is ready, now add 1/8 tablespoon of saffron food colour.
- Add chicken pieces into this mix. Carefully fill the incisions with the masala. Doesn’t it now look exactly like tandoori chicken you get in fancy restaurants!!!
- Cover the bowl with cling film and this will now go for marination. Marinate for 8-10 hrs.
- I kept the chicken in refrigerator overnight.
- So next day, keep it out of the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before use.
- Grease a foiled baking tray with butter and arrange the chicken pieces onto it. Coat the pieces with little more butter.
- In a preheated oven at 250’C (This is max for my oven) bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn the chicken pieces, add some butter and again bake for 15-20 minutes.