Sheer Khurma or Seveyian or Vermicelli Pudding is yet another recipe I bring you from Home. Sheer Khurma is that special dessert which makes you ask ‘What’s the occasion’!. This sweet, rich Mughlai dessert is all about festivals, celebrations, families, joys and togetherness. A delicate and sumptuous medley of vermicelli, milk, fresh cream, dry fruits and dates. Everything blends together so well and creates a magic of taste.
Sheer Khurma means dates (Khurma) cooked in milk (Sheer). This easy to make pudding is nothing but vermicelli slow cooked in concatenation of ghee, milk, dates and dry fruits. The beauty of this dessert is in it’s simplicity. Simple it sure is, but it definitely needs some love and attention from you. Cook it just right and it makes a happy dessert which family and friends can sit around, laugh and celebrate. This special dessert is so very close to heart and festive.
I remember, these sugar high seveyian were must for Rakhi (A Hindu festival celebrating the bond of brother and sisters) and I also remember these overflowing on Eid (needs no introduction). There may be variations in the preparations but the spirit remains the same. As Lucknow celebrates Mughali Cusinie like none other, this Mughlai dessert has special place here at peppergarlickitchen.
Sheer Khurma is made of fine vermicelli, so if you are out to buy some, get those very fine ones. Also, I use non roasted ones. There are already roasted vermicelli available in market as well, nothing wrong with those but I like to use non roasted ones then roast them in ghee till they are golden brown. That is important! You do not want to burn them at the same time, these should not be under cooked as well.
Use full cream milk to make these, there should not be any compromises when you are cooking special. Don’t you think? I use full cream milk. Simmer at low heat till it is reduced to almost half of the quantity, add some more fresh cream as well if you fancy.There, you got me! What I also do is, I add dates in the milk while it is still simmering. This way dates become really soft and milk absorbs all the flavors of dates. Tastes so much better!
Coming to next important thing, dry fruits!. You can always use dry fruits of your choice but Sheer Khurma along with other desserts at home, always uses Chironji (charoli). This is a small lentil shaped dry fruit which is used widely in Indian desserts. I don’t see much love for chironji but it is really special and if you can lay your hands on it, make good use of them. You will love it. (Chironji makes a great face pack as well! Soak, grind and apply on face for the beautiful glow. There a bonus 🙂 )
- 1/2 cup seviyan/vermicelli
- 1/2 liter full cream milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6-7 dates
- 1/4 cup chirongi
- 1/4 cashew and pistachios
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Put milk on low flame and boil till it is reduced to half. Use full cream milk for best sheer Khurma.
- Roast dates in little ghee. Use seedless dates or just remove the seeds. Add dates in milk while it is boiling.
- Slice dry fruits and roast in little ghee. I am using cashews, pistachions and chironji here.
- In a separate heavy bottom pan, add 2 tbsp ghee. Roast seviyan or vermicelli in ghee till golden brown.
- Make sure to stir continuously as these are very delicate to burn.
- Add milk as soon as seviyan are done.
- Also add sugar, cardamom powder and half of the dry fruits. Let it simmer till seviyan are cooked.
- You can adjust milk based on the consistency you like.
- Serve hot and garnish with some more dry fruits.
- You can use rose water or kewra for more flavour.
- You can also add fresh cream in the milk.
- Adjust sugar as per your taste.