Shakshuka, this name may sound unfamiliar to you but it is synonymous with breakfast in Israel and it totally deserves it. I believe this is the breakfast which can make your whole day work. It is a happy breakfast, which reminds you of a lazy day,a vacation and all good things. It is nothing but eggs cooked in mildly spiced tomato sauce and topped with some cheese may be. When i first read about it, it sounded so Indian and very much what i have been making all my life, presentation was little different may be, if only that matters.
Because i love eggs so much ( i can eat eggs in any meal, any day) i try all egg recipes; like this one (baked eggs with salami and spinach), which again is must try…Ohh i am gonna make it this weekend. I specially love eggs in breakfast, sometimes just plain simple half fry and some times it’s Shakshuka. So basically I had to try this recipe. As i said i have been making some what same thing so there might be some personalization here. I, however believe that you can never go wrong with eggs, so go ahead, feel free to add/delete what you like and make your own Shakshuka.
Start with cumin seeds (we use cumin seeds in almost everything) then add onions and then tomatoes. I have used fresh tomatoes as i always do, you can very well use canned ones. Add salt, little bit of sugar and paprika powder at this point. Adding sugar really brings out the taste in tomatoes. Try it more often. You can also add sliced peppers and avoid paprika powder if you do not like spicy.
I added some mashed paneer (Indian cottage cheese) as well in tomatoes. Paneer makes this dish rich and creamy. You can see here how to make paneer at home. You can add cheese of your choice or avoid it all together. When cooked, crack eggs and cover the lid. Very carefully monitor it now, as that will decide how eggs will be and how you like them; solid or runny.
When done, take this pretty deliciousness on crunchy toast and relish each bite of perfectly cooked eggs with tangy and sweetish tomato sauce. With a cup of tea, this is the breakfast you were long waiting for. Trust me.
- 3 eggs
- 5 big tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 3 tbsp paneer (Indian Cottage cheese)
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and then melt butter into it.
- Add finely chopped onions and cook till golden brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes (or tinned tomatoes) in onions. Also add salt, sugar and paprika powder.
- Let tomatoes cook and become soft. Tinned tomatoes will not take long.
- When soft add paneer and mix well. Also add some of the chopped coriander leaves.
- Now crack egg in this mixture and cover the lid.
- Cook the eggs to the consistency you like.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with toast or pita bread.
- You can avoid paprika powder if you like.
- You can also add sliced peppers.
- Feel free to add cheese of your choice or no cheese at all.