Our brain is a strange starnge machines and curious are the ways it works in.It’s difficult to understand the innumerable nodes and connections inside this little apricot part and even so mind boggling are the connections it makes with everything outside. I wonder how the smell of brewing tea makes me smile all the time or setting sun arises a perplexing sinking feeling or Gajar ka Halwa reminds of cold snug evenings back home..yes it’s overwhelming to understand the connection our brain and body makes. ShakarPara is sweet sugary snacks that reminds me of Holi..each and every time, that would be because it was a constant in our Holi menu. So of course i had to make these this Holi. I like how basic this sweet is and i guess this simplicity is what makes it so addictive and pleasure to palate and don’t these look adorable!
Well lets see how simple these sugary bites are to make. Believe it or not but you need only three ingredients to make these ; All purpose flour, oil, sugar and of course some water. Actually there are two methods to make shakarparas, one where all purpose flour is kneaded with sugar syrup and other one, which i follow and prefer, is to coat the fried bites in sugar syrup. The other method makes them look so pretty just like fluffy, snowy, cutesy type; which i absolutely love.
In a separate pan, mix water and sugar and heat till a smooth consistency of sugar syrup. Switch off the flame and let it cool a little bit and while it is still hot, transfer the fried snack in to this syrup. This is it, just mix well. As sugar syrup cools down it will make a pretty white coating on the snacks. Let it cool down completely and your are good to go.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp oil for kneading
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Oil to fry
- Add oil in all purpose flour and mix well with hands. It will look crumbly when oil is mixed in flour.
- Now add water to knead the flour. Knead till it's smooth and tight.
- Now take a small portion and roll it on working stand in around 1/4' thickness.
- Cut it in diamond like shape and fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- In a separate pan heat water and mix sugar into it. heat it till the consistency of one thread. It means when you press a drop between your thumb and finger, you can see a thread forming between them.
- Let the sugar syrup cool down a little bit and while it is still hot transfer the snack into sugar syrup. Mix it very well. The more you let it be in sugar syrup, sweeter it will be. Take it out when it's good sweet for you.