We are never out of festivals, here in India. There is something going on in some part, region, religion or community. The good thing is that everybody gets to enjoy. We celebreated Bakrid, Durga Puja, Navratri, Dussehra, Onam, Karwachauth and many more in just last couple of months. Andd there is more to come; the big one, Diwali is almost there. Of all things, festivals means a lot of good food which is the best part. Everybody is gearing up for Diwali. So, here is one more to add in your menu; these awesome Raw Banana Cakes.
These Raw Banana or plantain cakes will be a breath of fresh air on your festive menu. If you like to try new things you got to make these. Use them as lip smacking side dish or cool companion for drinks and for some reason if you want to avoid potatoes, raw bananas are your best friend. In fact you can make pretty decent burger out of these patties. Bananas are healthy and it is interesting how closely these taste like potatoes yet so different.
I have used roasted spices, which I use so often. Roasted then blended spices enhance the flavors and aroma of these patties. I have also used a lot of mint and coriander leaves for freshness. The blend of spices, fresh herbs and lemon juice; all of these make banana cakes spicy, aromatic, tangy and totally irresistible. You can make these in advance and store. Just fry when you have to serve. Serve with ketchup or coriander chutney! you and your guests will love these.
- 250 gms Banana
- 2 tablespoon Besan (gram flour)
- 2 green chilli
- Fresh mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Oil for shallow frying
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Cut raw banana in half and boil till soft
- Peel and finely mash the boiled bananas.
- Dry roast besan or gram flour till it starts to release aroma. Make sure it is not burnt. Add it in mashed banana paste.
- Thinly chop green chili, mint and coriander leaves and add to banana mash.
- Dry roast the spices mentioned above till seeds start to release aroma and then blend it in mixer.
- Add 1 tablespoon of this powder in the banana mix.
- In the end add salt and lemon juice.
- Mix everything well and make small cakes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the banana cakes till golden brown both sides.