Chicken Tikka Biryani: The one pot meal of spiced chicken and fragrant rice is synonymous to feasting and celebrations. Biryani is a very popular dish in Asian and Arabic countries; it’s roots go to hundreds of years back. Biryani is basically meat and rice cooked together, so it can be made of any meat (chicken, lamb, beef) with long grain, fragrant rice. As simple as it sounds, it takes some effort to cook perfect Biryani. Tenderly cooked meat, right mix of spices, aroma and perfectly cooked rice is what makes a good Biryani.
Biryani is a happy meal; It is made for all happy occasions, festivals and get together. I am sure every family has a Biryani expert; with their traditional family recipe or secret ingredients, they make their all famous Biryani for the special occasion and that special Biryani makes the occasion even more special. Family and friends come together , talk, laugh and devour the special Biryani. Happiness and togetherness: this is what Biryani is to me!
So if you are expecting guest or some festival is coming up or you just want to have family time; make this Chicken Tikka Biryani. This one is easy and quick. I had earlier made ‘Mutton Dum Biryani’ , that one is one of the best Biryani, believe me you will be requested for this one over and over again. Only thing is that it is little time consuming and tricky. So a simpler solution is this Chicken Tikka Biryani. This one makes quick, uses chicken so goes for everyone, spicy and is same delicious.
If you like, you can use mutton instead of chicken in this recipe as well but in that case use one tablespoon raw papaya paste and marinate for at least an hour. Cooking time will also increase by 20-25 minutes.
Some tips for the perfect Chicken Tikka Biryani:
- Make slits or cuts on chicken so that marinade goes inside the chicken.
- Use homemade chicken tikka masala powder. It makes the Biryani even more flavorful and fragrant. You can see here how to make chicken tikka masala powder
- Use good quality Basmati rice
- When cooking the rice, keep a very close watch so that rice is not overcooked. It should be cooked 80%
- Use ghee for traditional Biryani flavor
Serve this awesome Chicken Tikka Biryani with plain curd, raita or green chutney and let your guests devour!!
- 500g Chicken
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chicken tikka masala powder
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 2 green chilies
- Coriander & mint leaves
- ½ cup milk
- Saffron strands
- Salt to taste
- 500g Basmati rice (flavored long grain rice)
- 2 black cardamoms
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leave
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp caraway seed (use cumin if not available)
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tsp ghee or oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- Thinly slice the onion and fry till golden brown. Take brown onions out of oil and spread on kitchen towel to drain excess oil. We will use these onions later.
- Start with marinating the chicken. Clean the chicken and make slit on chicken pieces with a knife so that the marinade goes well inside the chicken.
- Transfer chicken pieces in a mixing bowl, add yogurt, half of the brown onions, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and lemon juice. Chop handful of coriander, mint leaves and green chillies and add to the mixture. Add the mixture well. Don’t hesitate to use hands. Keep it aside for half an hour.
- While chicken is marinating soak the rice for at least half an hour.
- When chicken is marinated, start with rice. Boil two cups of rice, add black & green cardamoms, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, caraway seed, cloves, salt and ghee or oil. When water is boiled add rice into it. Keep close eye on rice, take it off the flame when rice is 80% and drain excess water. Make sure rice is not over cooked.
- Now we start with assembling chicken with rice. Put a heavy bottom pan on medium flame. Add 1 tbsp ghee or oil and transfer the chicken with all of the marinade. Let it cook till water dries out. In the meantime, soak saffron strands in milk. If you like more colour, add pinch of saffron food colour as well in milk.
- When water is dried from chicken, add a layer of half of the rice over the chicken. Spread coriander and mint leaves and brown onions over this layer. Place rest of the rice over this layer. Again spread remaining brown onions, coriander and mint leaves. Spread milk & saffron over rice. Also add lemon juice. Add remaining oil by the sides of the pan. Cover the lid of the pan.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over low flame and place the pan with chicken and rice over it. Let it cook for around 30 minutes. Switch off the flame and let it rest for 5-10 additional minutes before opening the lid.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander and roasted nuts while serving.