Smoothies are great. Is there any other way to pack healthy vegetables, fruits, juice, nuts and freshness in one class, i don’t think so. Smoothies make the perfect and healthy breakfast. A glass of green smoothie gives you boost for the day and keeps you full till the next meal. These are so yumm that even kids will love their share of greens. I posted Beetroot smoothie which is so so nutritious and so good for runners and athletes! So what is green smoothie now? Well let’s see:
What is Green Smoothie:
Green smoothies are delicious way to consume more and more green and leafy vegetables. These are packed with greens of your choice, some fruits that you love, juice/water/yogurt whatever you fancy and nuts. Blended all together and it makes one hell of a drink.
Why Green Smoothie:
There are so many healthy reasons you should drink green smoothie.Here are few:
- Green smoothie are basically liquid leafy vegetables which are the rich source of minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium) and vitamins, including vitamins K, C, E, B and K.
- Weight Loss!! yes these smoothies are almost carb free yet packed with proteins and minerals. A glass in morning keeps you full till lunch and aids in weight loss.
- These smoothies are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the human body from oxidant stress, diseases, and cancers, and boost immunity.
- Super easy to make. It hardly takes any time to make a smoothie in the morning. So no breakfast hassles in your busy mornings.
- You can make it with any vegetables and fruits you have. You actually don’t need recipe and fancy ingredients for this. Mix and match, experiment and you will come up with your own smoothie.
What do i need :
Like i said, you can use vegetables and fruits of your choice. Here are few examples:
Green Leafy Vegetables: Spinach, Kale, Beet greens, Amaranth, Basella, Swiss chard, watercress, Leeks
Fruits: Banana, Apple, Avocado, Mango, Berries, Pineapple, Watermelon, Musk melon, Peach, Pears, Pomegranate, Beets
Liquid: Yogurt, Almond milk, Coconut milk, Coconut water, Soy Milk, Protein Powder
Nuts/Seeds: Almonds, Cashews, dates, chia seeds, flax seeds, chestnuts
Fresh Herbs : Mint, Parsley, Basil
Spice up : Ginger, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Coco Powder, Vanilla Extract, Lemon
Sweeteners: Honey, Sugar, Palm Sugar
What Do i Do:
What you do is just blend.
1 cup leafy Vegetables
1 cup Fruits
1/2 cup liquid
2 tbsp Nuts/Seeds
Handful of fresh herbs
1 tsp spice
1 tbsp Sweetener
Sweetener is optional as fruits work well as sweetener and if you are using frozen fruits you don’t need ice. Now mix all of it together, pour it in a mason jar or any cup that you like and sip it away.
As i said, there is no recipe as such for green smoothie. It depends what you like, you just need to keep in mind what goes with what. I have made spinach and banana smoothie here and i really like this one. However simple, here goes the recipe:
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Banana
- 1/2 cup water+yogurt
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate
- 2 tbsp Almond meal/Almonds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla sugar/Honey/Sugar+vanilla extract
- Coarsely chop spinach and cut banana in pieces
- Take 2-3 tbsp of yogurt and mix it with water to make 1/2 cup of liquid
- In the blender, throw in spinach, banana, yogurt liquid, pomegranate, almond meal, cinnamon powder, vanilla sugar (or sweetener or your choice) and Ice
- Blend. Feel free to add water to make it to the consistency of your choice.
- Pour in a glass/mason jar/favorite mug. Gulp it all!!