It’s not everyday that we eat pancakes for breakfast but when we do it means special. I have been waiting to make pancakes for long, really long but somehow it was getting postponed. Then we got dragon fruit! Yes, i admit i tried this fruit for the very first time and i must say I was impressed. It is such a beautiful fruit. The shape may be little wierd; thats how the name dragon fruit i guess. I loved the colours, prettiest pink outside and inside are the tiny black seeds in creamy pulp. It melts in mouth like silk with little crunch of seeds; so juicy and tender. Basically this fruits shouts summers!
For the pancakes, i absolutely love ‘The joy of cooking’ buttermilk pancakes recipe. My pancakes come out absolutely perfect each time. However i adjust quantity of buttermilk to the thickness of the batter i like. To the same recipe i have added dragon fruit. I cut them in small pieces and added in batter. I think coarsely mashing them and then adding to batter wont be bad idea either. You can choose not to add them to batter instead pop some over the pancake while cooking in the pan.
Whichever way, these pancakes are absolutely amazing. We dusted some powdered sugar, little bit of honey and a lot of maple syrup and it was a perfect breakfast. I thought there would be some leftover batter but how wrong was I. So go ahead and make these dragon fruit pancakes Today!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2.5 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dragon fruit
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter for batter + for frying pancakes
- In a bowl combine flour, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla sugar, whisked eggs and melted butter. Mix well
- Cut dragon fruit in small pieces and add to the batter.
- Heat a pan and melt butter in it.
- Pour small batter on the pan and let it cook, when you see bubbles on top flip it over. Let it cook till golden brown.
- Serve with dusted sugar or maple syrup or honey or butter!