What do you wish for on days when you are under the weather, exhausted and drained mentally and physically? I generally go into hibernation :). Do nothing, a lot of sleep, some pampering, chocolate may be, but most important A warm Bowl of Soup. I somehow relate soup to becoming better and healthy. Good soup is so fulfilling and makes me happy any day. This Coconut Milk Chicken Soup is exactly what you need in comfort food to heal your body and mind.
It was raining profusely here in Mumbai, new to Mumbai monsoon it was baffling for me. Can’t say I did not enjoy it but it sure caused me fever. Feverish, tired and still loaded with work I decided not to do anything over the weekend. Slept like a baby, shut down the laptop and made this hearty soup (with help of husband, of course). This warm bowl of soup definitely lifted up spirits.
This no fuss, easy to make with available ingredients Soup is healthy, full of goodness and delightfully delicious. Coconut milk makes it creamy, tastier and healthier. You can use any vegetables you want and choose to make it as liquidy or thick as you like.
- 500 grams chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2-3 garlic bulbs
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 bay leave
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- Clean chicken breast and cut in cubes.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and melt butter into it. Add bay leave, garlic, grated ginger and finely chopped onions.
- When onions turn golden brown add chicken cubes into it.
- Also add some pepper and salt, let it brown for around 2-3 minutes.
- Cut carrots and other vegetables of your choice (leeks, beans, cauliflower, broccoli etc) and add in chicken.
- Add chicken broth and let it simmer on low to medium flame.
- When chicken and vegetables are 90% cooked, add coconut milk. Close the lid and let it cook on low to medium flame for around 5-minutes or till chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Add some sliced green onions. Serve with bread.