Here comes chicken tikka masala recipe finally! If you google chicken tikka masala, your page comes flooding with so many recipes. From BBC food to Jamie Oliver, everybody has their own version. So many will suit your taste buds but some may seem pale to you, specially if your Indian or Asian for that matter. We Indians love spice so our version of chicken tikka masala is definitely spicy. My recipe is how i have always eaten chicken tikka masala; at home and at the famous corners in Delhi. It’s spicy, savory, vibrant with hint of tandoor.
I recently posted recipes for chicken tikka masala powder and chicken tikka kebabs so of course chicken tikka masala has to be next. Actually if you have one, you can easily make other. I always keep chicken tikka masala powder handy in my kitchen as my husband loves chicken tikka kebabs. He is always up for it, so whenever i make chicken tikka kebabs, chicken tikka masala is for main course as it takes almost no effort once kebabs are ready.
Actually these dishes come very handy when i am expecting guests and need variety. I usually make two types of marinade, one for chicken tikka as everybody loves it, other would be for malai tikka or coriander chicken tikka, which turn up super awesome as well. I will try to post recipes of these two soon. I make extra chicken tikka kebabs which i use in chicken tikka masala. So this is how my life becomes easy and i have variety for my dinner party.
Here, I made chicken tikka masala with chicken tikka kebabs. You can also skip the step of making kebabs if you do not want to. follow these steps if you are making chicken tikka masala without making kebabs; which would be slow cook method:
- Follow the recipe for chicken marinade and marinate the chicken as recipe says
- Instead of putting chicken in oven put it in a pan and let it cook slowly till water in tikka dries out. Half cover the lid of the pan during this time.
- Add these tikka in the gravy as mentioned in the recipe. Add water to make the gravy of your desired consistency.
- You might have to cook a little bit longer to make sure that tikkas are cooked.
So you see it’s not much of work. Also if you follow my recipe for ‘Chicken tikka kebabs’ for making kebabs you can directly start with gravy and just add these tikkas in the gavy. This tikka masala will be more flavorful as we smoke chicken and all that.
- 1 kg chicken breast pieces
- 4-6 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoon chicken tikka masala
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (lal mirch)
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek powder (methi powder)
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red food colour
- Salt to taste
- I big onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 green chili
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp chicken tikka masala powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup cream or yogurt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Coriander for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Cut chicken breast in medium sized kebab pieces. Transfer chicken pieces in a bowl and mix all the mentioned ingredients with yogurt.
- We need thick yogurt for this. Just keep the yogurt in a strainer for some time, this will drain off excess water and you will get thick creamy yogurt. Let chicken marinate for couple of hours.
- Pre heat the oven at 200'C or 390 F.
- Put chicken pieces on a skewer, if not, simple put it in oven dish and place it in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start to splutter, add finely chopped onion and split green chili. Let it cook till onions are slight golden brown in colour.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes at this point. You can also make a paste of the tomatoes in blender and add if you like it that way.
- In a small bowl, add coriander, red chili, turmeric and chicken tikka masala powder with little water and transfer this paste in the pan.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes or till masala gets cooked, you will know masala is cooked when oil starts separating from masala. Add sugar and salt.
- When masala is fully cooked add cream. You can also substitute cream with yogurt if you like. Slowly add yogurt in masala.
- Add little water to make the gravy of the desired consistency. Wait for 3-4 minutes then add chicken tikka to it.
- After a boil, garnish with chopped coriander. With this chicken tikka masala is ready