Buying an instant masala mix is one thing but making your own chicken tikka masala powder is what marks your signature in a dish. A dish so loved all over the world, chicken tikka, definitely calls for your own blend of masalas. This chicken tikka masala powder is the perfect blend of all the spices you need for making chicken tikka kebab or chicken tikka masala curry. You can make it in advance and store it in air tight containers easily for couple of months. Definitely makes your life easier. So next time you have to make everybody’s favorite chicken tikka kebabs just toss this masala in marinade with couple of other things and its done!
The most pleasing thing about this masala is that you hand pick spices and roast them. So basically it’s custom made for you or your guests. See that’s awesome. And roasting the spices, in my opinion, adds life to them. First your kitchen smells just fantastic,it also removes moisture from the spices so you can easily grind and make a fine powder.
You can sieve the masala and blend again to make finer powder. I, however, did not do that for my masala powder. I like it coarse and love it when i can feel the masala in my food, gives a very homely feeling. And yes, poppy seeds are my touch. Try it you’ll love them for sure.
So, hope you like this and it makes things in your kitchen little easier and lot tastier.
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 6-7 cloves
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 3 black cardamom
- 5-6 dry red chili
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dry roast all the spices, till they release a nice aroma
- Grind in a blender to make coarse powder
- To make a finer powder, sieve the masala again.
- Store in a air tight container
- If you like you can add the red colour in masala itself and keep it or it can be added while making tikka.
- This masala should be enough for 2 to 21/2 kg of chicken tikka.