If you ask anybody about their one favorite Indian food and i am sure chicken Tikka will be one of the choice. Chicken tikka to India is what pizza is to Italy, burritos to Mexico or sushi to Japan. Everybody makes their version and loves it like that. I am totally for the idea of tweaking recipes little bit here and there to make it up to your taste and ease. This is how recipes can be taken to generations and across boarders. But apart from these variations, keeping the soul of the recipe alive, is what makes one a good cook.
Chicken tikka is one such food. Traditionally chicken tikka kebabs are made in tandoor or clay oven at high temperatures, that is what gives the specific smoky and earthy taste to tikka. Having a tandoor at home is not very feasible so we make it in oven and still try to give the smokey flavor. Chicken tikka kebabs are actually very easy and simple to make. tikka in hindi or punjabi means pieces. So pieces of chicken are marinated in yogurt sauce with lot of flavorful spices and then roasted.
It is a great starter for lunch or dinner. I always depend on chicken tikka kebabs. It’s so easy and specially if you have home made chicken tikka masala powder ready, it takes no time and comes out awesome every time you make them. I always make and store chicken tikka masala powder. It really makes life easier. Just toss it in chicken tikka kebabs, chicken tikka masala, chicken tikka biryani or any curry and its done in no time.
- 1 kg chicken breast pieces
- 4-6 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 tablespoon chicken tikka masala
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (lal mirch)
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek powder (mehi powder)
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red food colour
- Salt to taste
- 1 piece of coal for smoking of chicken
- Cut chicken breast in medium sized kebab pieces.
- Transfer chicken pieces in a bowl and mix all the mentioned ingredients (except for piece of coal, we will need that in the end) with yogurt.
- We need thick yogurt for this. Just keep the yogurt in a strainer for some time, this will drain off excess water and you will get thick creamy yogurt.
- Let chicken marinate for couple of hours. If you can keep it overnight, very well but if not, 2-3 hours should be good enough.
- Before taking chicken to oven, heat a piece of coal on gas, when coal is red hot put it on foil or a small bowl and place it in the bowl. Drizzle some ghee on it and immediately cover the bowl. Ghee will help create the smoke and give smokey flavor to chicken.
- Pre heat the oven at 200'C or 390 F.
- Put chicken pieces on a skewer, if not, simple put it in oven dish and place it in oven for 10-15 minutes. I put on oven plus grill mode.
- Chicken tikka kebab is ready, serve with green chutney and lemons.